Last updated on 15/01/2023
Dr. Erik Davis is an American writer, scholar, journalist and public speaker whose writings have ranged from rock criticism to cultural analysis to creative explorations of mysticism.
Few people are able to talk about the spirituality with a precision and accuracy born of a commitment to always remain open to the Mystery.
Erik shares his own path, describing how he maintains scientific viewpoint while also embracing the weird and unknown aspects in all religions, especially Christianity and Buddhism.
We talk in detail about “the psychonaut”scientifically minded explorers who use psychedelics in an attempt to map the fringes and consciousness – places where there might still be dragons.
- Spiritual and uncanny experiences occurred in Erik’s childhood bedroom
- Fear and fascination
- How Erik spans science and spirituality
- Erik’s deep experience with Christian art
- “The weirdest year of your life”
- Erik on prayer and grace
- “America can’t escape the shadow of puritanism”
- Psychonauts vs religious seekers
- Psychosis as an occupational hazard
- Practical Buddhist ethics
- The role of a spiritual teacher
- When Erik met Ram Dass
Erik’s most recent book is lit:
Explore Expanding Mind podcast by Erik Davis.
I think this is the best Erik Davis interview I’ve heard, and I’ve followed his work on line since reading Zig-Zag-Zen. The spiritual-seeker versus psychonaut dialogue deserves further unpacking. Now that I have found your podcast, the menu looks very tasty.
Thank you, Rick!