David Williams is 71 years old. He began yoga practice at the age of 20. He was one of the first foreigners to travel to India in the early 1970s to learn yoga. He was the first non-Indian to learn the complete Ashtanga Vinyasa syllabus from Pattabhi Jois. He was one of the few people certified by Pattabhi Jois to teach all four asana series and the pranayama. He has practised Ashtanga Yoga daily, without interruption since 1973, perhaps longer than anyone else alive. He lives in Maui, Hawaii. His memoir of travelling the world and learning yoga, MY SEARCH FOR YOGA is available from his website, ashtangayogi.com.
- Getting into Yoga and choosing a life of freedom
- Early influencers
- First Westerner to learn all four series of Ashtanga Yoga
- David’s favourite excerpt from Katha Upanishad
- Working with meditation in the asana and
- Bandhas and Drishti in forward folds as taught by Sri Krishnamacharya
- Kechari Mudra and Kevala Kumbhaka
- Real alchemy of Yoga
- Working with Samskaras
- Yamas and Niyamas
- Thoughts on pain and injury and Pattabhi Jois’s way of teaching
- Krishnamacharya, adjustments and evolution of his teaching methodology
- Strong adjustments and long-time practice
Thanks Nathan?!! This a beyond wonderfull contribution which brougjt me more clarity for my yoga practise than any book! A great talk with a very authentic person??
A great yogi and mentor
This is the enlightened knowledge that I have been seeking my whole life! David Williams has brought out the truth of staying healthy while doing the asanas. I’m old now but I continue to practice at 67. I will continue to practice ahimsa.
Nathan, you are awesome to do these podcasts!
David! I have your book, and it’s the best! It is amazing and unbelievable what you went through. Your stories are so inspiring, funny, and a beautiful diary of your yoga journey!
Lots of love,
The interview enriched be immensely. I am happy that you are living a wonderful life.